Need for a Diagnosis?

While researching some therapy options I learned that there is an Ohio Autism Scholarship (or something like that) of $20,000 a year but you have to have an "official" diagnosis to apply. This doesn't mean we get a check for this amount of money, or that it can be used for biomedical treatment, which at this time it can NOT, but it does mean that he can get specialized therapy that is working for other children like him, or it can be used for the school tuition when we are ready.

Up until now getting that official diagnosis didn't mean much to us, because really is it even Autism that all of these children have today? I mean I know that is the label that they put on all of these immune, and digestive issues that are tormenting these kids and causing their delays, stims, social and behavioral issues, but since they can get better, recovered completely even - is it Autism? I don't know! But I will take the label if it means that he can get therapy that will actually benefit him (as opposed to the traditional Speech and PT that he got nowhere with.)

There is a place for Speech that likes to treat kids in their own homes and that is exactly what we are looking for. So now in addition to everything else we have going on, we are going to seek getting this official diagnosis, that could range pretty much anywhere on the Autism Spectrum. I would probably call him PDD-NOS myself (pervasive developmental disorder - not otherwise specified) but whatever they want to call it - fine - if it means that we can get him the help he needs to get caught up. Which I still fully believe he can and will do.

It has been 2 weeks now of the OLE and 3 of the GSE, we haven't really noticed too much but that doesn't mean that it isn't doing anything so we will continue. I am still taking both myself. I did order the Autistique Cream 2.0 but received 3.0 which is more expensive and has more things in it, I decided instead of going through the hassle of sending it back and getting what we ordered he could try it - it has only been 3 days so we don't notice anything yet. It is nice that he isn't taking so many things orally now. I am really anxious to start the Glutathione patches but I am going to wait until he has been doing the Autistique for at least 1 full week to add them. I may wait 2 because for this first week we are only applying before bed, you work up to 2 times daily, first thing in the AM, last thing in the PM...

The Cleveland Clinic submitted our HBOT request to our insurance finally so we will know what they say soon. We have a phone appt with Dr. Cheryl to go over test results and talk about Chelation next Thursday, October 2nd. I am also going to talk to her about the diagnosis so we can apply for the scholarship. Keep your fingers crossed!

As usual there is so much to decide and figure out - but we are moving along with high hopes that one of these things or a combination of them will be what he needs to overcome and heal. Speaking of healing - Jenny McCarthy's new book came out yesterday, Mother Warriors I defintely have to get it!

No comments: